Fr. Jurgen Liias shepherded the Community of St. Gregory the Great from the Autumn of 2010 when he gathered a group to explore the meaning of the newly-promulgated Apostolic Constitution Anglicanorum Cœtibus until his retirement as Pastor, celebrating his last Mass with us on October 16, 2016. Fr. Liias played a pivotal role in the history of the community as described here. He continues as a parish priest at St. Patrick’s Church in Stoneham and remains available to the members of the Community of St. Gregory the Great.
Fr. Liias’ was ordained to the diaconate on March 23rd, 2013 and to the priesthood on April 20th, 2013. He detailed his spiritual autobiography on his blog, part 1 and part 2. He appeared on “The Journey Home” on EWTN, The Coming Home Network.
Fr. Liias published an article, “New Evangelization and Ecumenism,” in Homilectic & Pastoral Review, America’s foremost pastoral publication.
Here are some articles about Fr. Liias:
- Ordinariate Expats — Father Liias on “The Journey Home” – 6.19.14
- Catholic Exchange — Why Catholicism? A Former Episcopalian Priest’s Story - 9.19.13
- The Boston Pilot — Former Episcopalian minister ordained Catholic priest - 4.26.13
- Cardinal Seán’s Blog — Fr. Liias’ Ordination in Cardinal Sean’s Blog – 4.26.13
- Beverly Citizen/Wicked Local Beverly — Local Episcopalian becomes Catholic priest, seeks Christian unity - 4.26.13
- Wicked Local Melrose — Melrose Episcopalian becomes Catholic priest, seeks Christian unity - 4.26.13
- Foolishness to the World — The Ordination of Fr. Jurgen Liias - 4.22.13
- Salem News — A step toward unity - 4.22.13
- The Deacon’s Bench — Episcopal priest will convert, but without his wife - 8.14.12
- Salem News — Local Episcopal priest to convert to Catholicism - 8.13.12
- Ready Writers — Exploring Entrance in the Ordinariate - 6.3.11
Here are some videos and an article with a podcast:
- Mass Citizens for Life, Inc. (video) — Fr. Jurgen Liias, Why We Are Pro-Life, Part 1 - 8.12.13
- YouTube video — Jurgen Liias’ Welcome Message for the Ordinariate Community of St. Gregory the Great - 12.27.12
- YouTube video — Jurgen Liias’ Reception into Full Communion - 8.15.12
- The Good Catholic Life (article and podcast)— Fr. Jurgen Liias and the Anglican Ordinariate - 7.16.12
Fr. Liias formulated our Parish Discipline, which incorporates the Joys, Privileges, and Disciplines of the Catholic Christian Life. Father Liias, always said the Church is not a cruise ship, but a freighter: no passengers, all crew! We try to actively embody the Apostolate of the Laity in all aspects of our communal life. As Father Liias said in this series of seven homilies, the parish disciplines are not conceived or presented as legalistic requirements but rather as means by which Grace may flow into and through us to support and enlarge the Kingdom of God.